Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Mental Health Mondays

 Introducing Mental Health Monday! On every even Monday, I will post about great ways to improve mental health and activities you can do from the comfort of your home, dorm room, etc. 

Brain with Stethoscope and roses
Image credit: Planstreet

Taking care of yourself is essential for being happy and creating happiness around you. Having great mental health not only benefits you but others around you. When others see that you are taking steps in the right direction, they will follow to do the same. 

As a college athlete, I found it difficult to find things to do that would benefit my mental health. I would often times just sit in my room in silence thinking that would help improve my mental health. Little did I know that it would actually worsen it. 

I found tips and tricks that helped me ease my mind of the things that would get me down. I am here to help supply those strategies. I will be providing biweekly games, activities, and things of that sort. This is an effort to help ease your mind and create a safe space/getaway space. 

This week I want to introduce the idea of adult coloring. Coloring has allowed me to just relax and focus on the beautiful pictures that I am creating. Being able to choose what colors to use and being in control of making something unique to myself has really helped my mental health. 

You can get really creative when doing these coloring pages. This is your time to be as creative as you want, include what you need to make it your own. You can add quotes around it, specials drawings to it. This is the opportunity to express yourself through something that you could be keeping private. 

Although you are not required to keep it private, you can also upload it to any social media site showing what you did. This can be a way for you show other people your strategies, or even just for some self- gloating. 

Adult coloring pages can be found by just doing a quick search on Google. You can search easy ones, medium ones, or hard ones. I usually do medium ones because I like to complete activities in one sitting. I do sometimes use the hard ones if I'm wanting to do one for hours or to really get my mind off things. 

There are so many benefits that come from adult coloring. One that I have already stated is creativity! This allows you so show who you are through colors and the way you color your image. This is also a great way to relieve stress as I previously mentioned. The calmness of coloring allows you to reduce your stress a significant amount!

Creating time for yourself is a crucial part in improving mental health. You can find anytime to color. As an athlete it may seem like your have no time to do anything. You feel as if all you have time for is school and your sport. Feeling like you don't have time for friends family or any extra activities is something that is felt throughout almost every athlete. I am here to say that taking time to yourself will help not only with your mental health but also your time management. 

I tried any and all things to create better time management skills. I found myself feeling lost and not knowing anything else but school and softball. But one day I found time to just sit back and color. After that time it was so beneficial to not only my mental health but improved my game of softball. 

On the way to away games, if I felt anxious or stressed out, I would whip out a coloring page and crayons and just color. Yes, it was difficult to color on a bumpy bus, but just having time to myself was amazing. 

If you don't have constant access to a printer, you can buy a book filled with coloring pages. You can find these at any store or an online website like Amazon. Crayons are also very easy to find in the same places. Prices vary on the coloring pages. If you get a fancy one the are a bit more costly but if you want to keep it simple, there are affordable ones out there. Crayons are very affordable. I bought Crayola crayons at dollar general for .50 cents!

Coloring book with paisley background
Image credit: Amazon
Box of 24 Crayola Crayons
Image credit: Shop Crayola



One thing I like to do with coloring is color a picture based on the month. With each month there is normally a major holiday. So for this month (October), I colored in a Halloween picture. It is so fun being able to color to reduce stress while also getting into the holiday spirit! My favorite holiday to color pictures is obviously Christmas. Yes, I know that it is only October, but I am so excited for the month of December!

I would love to hear if anyone else out there uses coloring to reduce their stress and improve their mental health. It honestly could be any kind of art. For example: painting, drawing, and poetry. You can improve your mental health in so many ways. If you want more advice or strategies check out Hillside Wellness Center's blog! Let me know what ways coloring has improved your mental health!

4 comments:

  1. I have not tried adult coloring yet. I found this to be a very intriguing idea and tip. I take medication for anxiety, I am going to try this adult coloring approach. I will also check out the Hillside Wellness Center blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am writing a blog that resolves around self care and mental health. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this topic and how it affects yourself and others. I thought this post was super fun because it talked about adult coloring. I actually have done this quite often. I'll google coloring pages, print them out, and color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved adult coloring for years. I got into it when I went through a depressive episode duringmy senior year of high school. It made it so that I could focus on something other than my thoughts and feelings. It helped me to release what I was holding in, clear my mind, and release the stress and tension I had. Thank you for sharing what has helped you through each day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have felt many different forms of mental health problems when it come to sports. With me currently being a college athlete, I constantly have to think about how I can improve my mental health which will end up helping my performance. I have never tried adult colouring but I did love it as a kid and maybe I should give it a try. Often my only outlet is a deep breath so thank you for sharing some alternative ways.

    ReplyDelete

Mental Health Mondays

 Introducing Mental Health Monday! On every even Monday, I will post about great ways to improve mental health and activities you can do fro...